Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Whitest Kids U’Know vs. Kids in the Hall

I’ve finished watching nearly every available episode for The Whitest Kids U’Know, which is criminally not available on my TV listings. The comparison to the Canadian comedy troupe Kids in the Hall is considerable. Both troupes, like Monty Python, are male dominated affairs where the male actors often portray even the women, like in classic Shakespearean theatre, only somehow more gay. As I write this, I’m watching Kids in the Hall actor Scott Thomson, a gay male, mounting his straight male counterpart, who is dressed in drag. Comedy ensues.
One of the main difference between the two is how they approach the topic of women. Kids in the Hall are reverent of women, who often seem like they’re impersonating their own sisters and mothers. The Whitest Kids U’Know treat women like a different species. Phrases like, “knuckle sandwiches,” come into play. Strangely, though, the Whitest Kids U’Know look better in drag. Wig technology has come a long way since the early 90’s.

1 comment:

Tyrant Bunny said...

I know I am a decade late but.. cool